A fiscal agent is a formal arrangement in which a 501(c)(3) public charity sponsors a project that may lack non-profit status. This arrangement allows the project to seek grants and solicit tax-deductible donations under the sponsor’s status. It ensures fiscal accountability to the funder and reduces the administrative burden for project workers.
As the fiscal agent, what will SuccessLink do for my project?
- Distribute payments of authorized expense invoices and requests for reimbursements in a timely manner.
- Receive and deposit grants and tax-deductible donations.
- Provide acknowledgement letters for qualified tax-deductible donations.
- Provide income and expense reports in a timely manner.
- Retain all original source documents submitted for payments.
- Serve as the employer of record for those project workers hired as employees.
- Manage project workers’ benefits (as applicable), liability insurance and workers compensation insurance.
- Process project workers' timesheets that have been approved and submitted by an authorized project representative.
- Prepare and distribute payroll checks to project workers.
- Withhold, file and deposit state income and employment taxes for project workers.
As the fiscal agent, what will SuccessLink NOT do for my project?
- Manage the project.
- Hire and/or supervise the workers.
- Provide organizational support or board supervision.
What does the project agree to do?
- Provide finalized grant budgets and all pertinent narratives and contract language.
- Provide original timesheets, invoices, receipts and requests for reimbursement in a timely manner.
- Provide IRS Form W-9 and a background check for all project workers.
- Provide copy of valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance for all project workers providing transportation for the project.
- Submit for pre-approval any grant requests being submitted in SuccessLink’s name.
- Pay an agreed upon percentage of donations and/or grants accepted plus expenses.
- Provide all reports for funders associated with the project.
- Provide all goals, objectives and direction for the project.
- Designate a single project contact as the liaison with SuccessLink.
- Develop an oversight or advisory board to oversee project.